Friday, April 15, 2011

Was This Written for ME?

by Kathy Downey 

As summer approaches, the weather gets hot,
and women face something that we'd rather not.
Yes...wearing a swimsuit, because as we know,
the flesh we've been hiding will all have to show.
I do some weeping, and gnashing my teeth
but it does not provide very much relief,
So I head to the mall to begin my quest
for that one perfect suit that will make me look best.
As I search through the racks, I mutter and sigh,
"How can swimsuits so tiny have prices so high?"
A bikini won't do, I am too old for that.
Ah, here is a one piece, this might hide my fat.
Harsh, glaring lights in a small, mirrored cell,
a dressing room cubicle, welcome to hell!
I look pretty ghastly, my skin kind of green,
when I take off my clothes it just might be obscene.
I squeeze into the suit and suck in my gut,
while attempting to stretch the cloth over my butt.
I look like a sausage link, latex encased,
a visual image I would like to erase.
Pale, dimpled slabs that used to be thighs,
rolls of fat round the middle that rival the size
of a diminishing bust line, squashed flat to my chest.
I am feeling discouraged, and very depressed.
When a voice rings out loudly, a woman shrieks, "NO!"
"Pay that much to look like this, I don't think so!"
Dead silence follows for one moment or two,
until someone else shouts, "Honey, I'm with you!"
Then the whole place erupts into cheers and applause,
as women emerge in our panties and bras.
Trampling the suits that we sling to the floor,
we dance and scream as we cause an uproar.
Someone starts to chant and we all sing along,
sharing our strength in the words of our song.
"We are women with curves, please heed our cry.
Make swimsuits that fit us or we will not buy."


"T-shirts and gym shorts will be our swim wear.
Bathing suit makers had better beware.
Your profit margins will feel the bite.
We are women, united, and ready to fight."
Pumping our fists and slapping high fives,
we are ready to take control of our lives.
Giddy with power, a loud happy bunch,
we decide to get dressed and go out to have lunch.

No comments:

Post a Comment